Imagine working with leading architecture and design experts and innovators to complete a real-world design project. Study with the latest thinkers and practitioners to gain an understanding of architecture and design within an emerging global context. Pursue hands-on design work in a state-of-the-art studio using the latest technology to address an aspect of the current global environmental crisis. And observe 2,000 years of architectural history up close at historical and current architectural sites throughout Spain – all with CIEE.
Study abroad in Barcelona and you’ll:
- Take part in the Future Cities Design Studio, which features an interdisciplinary perspective
- Conceive and execute design projects in studio space located at the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC) in the 22 area of Barcelona
- Use the FabLab facilities at the IAAC, a cutting-edge education and research academic institution dedicated to the development of architecture that meets the challenges of the 21st century
- Take field trips to San Sebastián and Bilbao to see recently completed buildings by international architects, or explore sites like the Moorish palace of the Alhambra in Granada or the Jürgen Meyer’s Metropol Parasol, a contemporary addition to the city of Seville to see the translation of designs from the page to real life
- Explore sites like the Moorish palace of the Alhambra in Granada and the Jürgen Meyer’s Metropol Parasol, a contemporary addition to the city of Seville, to see the translation of designs from the page to real life
- Visit leading architectural firms in Barcelona
This January, explore the business world and experience life in Brazil, the largest economy in Latin America. Join CIEE in lively Rio de Janeiro for our January Business and Culture program. You’ll get an insider view of what it’s like to do business here through classes and meetings with professional and cultural organizations. And you’ll experience a world-famous city known for its natural beauty, celebrations, and beaches.
Study in Brazil and you will:
-Go on excursions that will give you an overview of the geographic, cultural, and economic diversity in Rio and coastal Brazil
-Join faculty for visits to businesses and corporate headquarter offices
-Visit national museums and historical neighborhoods, attend soccer matches, and explore Rio’s rich and diverse arts culture
-Grow familiar with the fascinating socio-political landscape of Rio and Brazil by meeting community leaders, participating in community engagement activities such as teaching basketball in Rio´s favelas, learning to play soccer, or working in a community garden