Imagine working with leading experts and innovators to complete a cutting-edge research and design project. Study with Berlin’s thought-leaders and practitioners to gain an understanding of architecture and design within an emerging global context. Pursue hands-on design work in a modern studio using the latest technology to address an aspect of the current global environment. And observe centuries of architectural history up close throughout Germany and Europe – all with CIEE.
Study abroad in Berlin and you’ll:
- Take part in the Future Cities Design Studio, which features an interdisciplinary perspective, and exciting research and design projects.
- Visit and study landmark buildings by celebrated architects, such as the Reichstag Dome by Foster and Partners and Potsdamer Platz buildings by Renzo Piano Building Workshop.
- Study sustainable development in Berlin, with guided visits to sites such as the EUREF Smart City Campus and the Holzmarkt and Spreefeld cooperative housing and farming culture.
- Enjoy excursions to local places of interest such as the Bauhaus in Dessau and the Baroque palaces of Potsdam.
- Take guided overnight study tours to important European cities such as Hamburg and Dresden, and exchange with other Global AD students in Barcelona and Prague.
- Hear from, and interact with, visiting faculty and professionals during a series of lectures, critiques, and in-class visits.
Customize your study abroad experience. Our Open Campus program at the new CIEE Global Institute – Berlin offers maximum flexibility to engage and experience Berlin in your own way. Match the academic experience with your interests, aspirations, and degree requirements: Pair two or three six-week blocks for your perfect amount of intensive study and cultural engagement, select your academic track from five diverse options, then choose your electives from our wide range of courses and subject areas.
Business - As Europe’s economic powerhouse and largest hub for tech start-ups, Berlin is a prime spot to investigate the new demands and strategies of global business.
Communications, Journalism & New Media - Home to more than 1,000 film and television production companies, Berlin leads the way in European communications. Coursework, fieldwork, and site visits offer revealing insight into the role and power of media today.
Health Sciences - See how Germany and the European Union are addressing major health care challenges with a combination of courses, exciting fieldwork, and internships with renowned institutions and research centers.
International Relations & Political Science - There’s no better place than Berlin – a global hub of innovation and industry and leading voice in European and world affairs – to examine the pressing challenges facing Europe today and their impact on every corner of the globe.
Language, Literature & Culture - Polish your German language skills and probe the fascinating cultures found in Berlin, Germany, and Europe as you absorb Berlin’s architectural masterpieces and world-class music, theater, dance, and art. Courses are available in both English and German, so you can choose the path that meets your goals.
No matter how you build your program, you’ll immerse yourself in the German language, culture, and people vibrant Kreuzberg district – a hub for the arts, techno, and the world’s digital currency boom. Live in a new residence hall, study in state-of-the-art classrooms, and get involved with fun activities, interest groups, and sports on a campus designed to connect you with the local community. Plus, you’ll have plenty of chances to get out and see Berlin and Germany up close during included excursions and multi-day study tours.
Berlin is waiting – choose your adventure today.