An Experiment Leadership Institute Program
This new and highly competitive Experiment in International Living summer abroad program for high school students is specifically focused on leadership development. Participation for accepted students is fully funded.
Students receive intensive leadership training in Washington, DC, followed by a four-week experience focused on Youth Leadership in Peace, Politics, and Human Rights in South Africa. Finally, students return to the US for debriefings, synthesis and reflection sessions, and reentry workshops on the School for International Training campus in southern Vermont.
Program Key Features:
- Intensive leadership and activism training in Washington, DC
- Discussion on youth leadership at the Nelson Mandela Foundation (South Africa)
- Participation in the workshop “Young Voices in Conflict Resolution” hosted by The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD)—the largest conflict resolution center in Africa
- Visit to the UKZN Leadership Center (South Africa)
- Workshop on gender roles facilitated by a local NGO focused on developing young women leaders (South Africa)
- Homestays with two South African families in contrasting areas of the country
- Reentry and synthesis sessions in Vermont
- Action-oriented project to be implemented after the program’s conclusion
- Human Rights Advocacy
- Peace Studies
- Study Abroad
- Visit Website