Share this: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google Plus

Am I qualified to teach English abroad?
Honestly, if you have a passion to teach, travel and are excited to learning new cultures, teaching English abroad may just be the right job for you. The majority of teaching positions available are for native English speakers willing to teach English as a foreign language. However, there are teaching positions in many disciplines and languages around the world and if you are flexible you will surely find one that suits your interests and qualifications. 

Does age matter? 
Age might be an issue due to working permit and visa requirements. Many of these schools require photos and more important than age is often a well-groomed appearance.  Alternatively, there are also 'volunteer' teaching positions open to any age; there are even some open to high school students. 

Can my partner teach with me?
It would be best to touch base with your school and to find out directly.  Most schools like to see stability from their internationally recruited staff members.  Thus, schools believe that couples who have no children and share accommodation may be more stable. Not all destinations are gay friendly.

Prospective teachers concerned about destinations should check out Rainbow SIG.

Do I need to speak the local language?
In most cases, you do not need to speak the local language. Many schools offer language classes and social activities to help their teachers familiarize with the local language and culture. However, having a little background in the local language does give you an edge on how to teach diction, grammar and pronunciation. A bit of knowledge of the local language and culture will also help you determine what topics of discussion will be of interest to your students for a good English conversation starter in the classroom.

Which English accent is in demand?
Surprisingly, this question comes up more often than not.  In the end, it primarily depends upon location of the school or program. Preferred accent is determined by who the host country does the most business with. In Europe, British English may be preferred and within the European community, teachers from the UK may be the only teachers hired.  In Mexico, the American teacher is preferred. In Indonesia, a school may prefer the Australian teacher. 

Research Your New Country’s Regulations
Laws and regulations vary from country to country. Call the relevant embassy or consulate to learn of any restrictions and regulations for foreigners moving into the destination country. In particular, ask if there are:
  • required vaccines for family members
  • restrictions or taxes on shipped household items
  • taxes involved in shipping your car
  • required vaccines and quarantines for pets.

Read more at Suite101: International Moving Checklist: Advice and Tips for Moving Overseas | Suite101.com 

Who will I teach?
It will basically depend upon your employer.  At times you may be teaching children, at other times housewives, college students or corporate executives. Most language schools enroll students of all ages and backgrounds. Consider all the teaching positions that come your way because each type of teaching requires different skills, and thus offer different rewards.

What costs are involved? 
Costs vary, as you can imagine.  These are only examples, but in some teaching jobs, you might have to organize your own transportation costs, accommodations and meals. Some schools provide benefits like medical insurance, subsidized housing, and there are some employers who reimburse your airfare, usually when you successfully finish your contract. If it is a TEFL placement, more often than not there may be a cost for the TEFL course. If it is a volunteer placement, there is usually a program cost and no compensation, although there are some schools which give their volunteers a stipend. Make sure to clarify all of these costs with your program provider or employer.


Terms & Conditions   Privacy Policy