BCA St. Augustine, Trinidad & Tobago
WHY BCA ST. AUGUSTINE
• Live and study in a place known for its religious tolerance and multiculturalism in the Caribbean country of Trinidad and Tobago – often called the “Rainbow Country” in part due to the ethnic mix of Amerindians, Africans, Asians, Europeans and Middle Eastern Trinbagonians.
• Connect with local organizations or non-governmental organizations focused on disability services, the environment or gender and women’s rights by volunteering during your time in Trinidad.
• Gain a fresh perspective and experience a different teaching style at the University of West Indies, St. Augustine, which offers more than 300 accredited programs across 24 schools, centers and institutes. The university’s faculty and students come from more than 40 countries creating a diverse and exciting learning environment.
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
As a native of Trinidad, your BCA St. Augustine Resident Director is the perfect cultural guide for your semester abroad. Through activities in St. Augustine and around Trinidad, your RD will help you have a Trinidadian experience and connect to the cultural and ecological diversity of the country in locations like the Caroni Swamp, a large mangrove wetland, or beaches that are the nesting grounds for the endangered leatherback sea turtle. The BCA signature excursion varies by semester, but may include a multi-day excursion to the autonomous island of Tobago known for its wide, sandy beaches and biodiverse tropical rainforest.
The University of the West Indies (UWI) offers world-class accredited academic programs. The campus provides modern teaching and learning centers with committed lecturers who are highly accessible to you. You will experience a diverse learning environment with faculty and students from more than 40 countries. The university offers programming in business, humanities, engineering, gender studies, natural sciences and social sciences. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to take courses such as The History of Carnival in Trinidad and other courses in the Department of Festival Studies to explore Trinidadian culture and carnival year-round!
Trinidad and Tobago is the most southern Caribbean nation positioned off the northern edge of South America. The city of St. Augustine in Trinidad is the birthplace of soca and calypso music as well as the steel pan. It’s also home to the largest Caribbean carnival which showcases the country’s creativity and talent as participants wear extravagant handmade costumes and dance in the streets for hours. As a BCA student, you can learn about the significance of carnival through courses and activities at the university. You can also join in on campus activities and clubs, or volunteer in the local community to further connect with local people.
- African Studies
- Animal Science
- Biology (General)
- Media And Cultural Studies
- English Literature
- Information Technology
- Political Science
- Travel / Tourism
- Zoology & Wildlife Sciences
- Asian Studies, Asian Literature & Languages
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Studies
- Environmental Sci. (Atmosph.)
- Food Science And Nutrition
- Gender Studies
- Health Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Admin (Hospitality, Sports)
- Social Work
- Urban Planning