This program provides scholarships to attend a broad range of three- to four-week summer courses at German universities which focus mainly on German language and literary, cultural, political and economic aspects of modern and contemporary Germany. Extensive extracurricular programs complement and reinforce the core material. A number of the University Summer Course Grants are made possible by the DAAD Alumni Association of the US, including one that is specially earmarked for an applicant in the fine arts.
- German Language Literature and Studies
- Languages / Linguistics
- Political Science
Please go to www.daad.org/en/find-funding/ for details on the documents that need to be submitted for an online application. Applicants are advised to start the application process at least one week before the closing date.
To download the language evaluation form, please see the box to the right.
- The application is submitted online through the DAAD Portal. The portal will close automatically at 11 PM Central European Time (5 PM EST/4PM CST/3PM MTN/2PM PST) on the deadline date.
- In addition, you are required to mail one recent reference from a university teacher in a sealed envelope to the address below by the deadline date (postmarked):
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
University Summer Course Grant
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
- Your application is only complete when we have received your complete electronic application via the online portal and reference by post.
- The video below explains how to navigate the online portal.
- If you seek technical support with the online portal, please e-mail portal(at)daad.de.
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- Application materials will not be returned.
- No reasons for a decision will be given.