International internships, whether summer or semester-long, allow you to gain academic credit or supplement a practicum. No matter your major or professional goals, you are bound to find an internship opportunity that caters to your studies, interests or overall graduation requirements. With so many options available, how do you choose the right internship program for you?
Here are a few questions to help guide you in selecting the best intern abroad programs:
- What are your careers and academic goals? How do you think you can leverage an internship abroad to reach these goals?
- What kind of internship do you want to do? You can participate in an internship that relates to your major or choose something in a completely unrelated field. This can be a great way to explore new career possibilities.
- Is the city you're choosing to intern in a good place for the industry you're interested in?
- Do you want to learn a new language or improve on a foreign language that you're learning? If this is one of your goals then the choose a location where they speak the language you're interested in learning.
- How long are you planning to intern abroad? Factors such as if you're a student, recent grad, if the internship is paid or unpaid, any family or other obligations you may have will impact how long you can intern abroad.