Represent the Diversity Abroad community while you're abroad.
The fact is, with every friendship you make, and every bond of trust you establish, you are shaping the image of America projected to the rest of the world. That is so important. So when you study abroad, you’re actually helping to make America stronger.” - Former First Lady Michelle Obama
The Overseas Ambassador Program is an initiative created for current students or recent graduates who are planning to study, intern, volunteer or teach abroad. The Overseas Ambassadors will serve as overseas correspondents, sharing their experiences to motivate other members of the DiversityAbroad.com community to go abroad. By writing insightful articles, sharing inspiring videos and pictures about your new surroundings, cross-cultural observations and personal growth, your words will inspire other diverse students to go abroad and challenge them to rethink how study abroad experiences can be for everyone.
The goal of the Diversity Abroad Overseas Ambassador program is to provide students going abroad with the unique opportunity to be a Diversity Abroad representative during their overseas experience. Overseas Ambassadors are leaders that will explore the issues affecting diverse students abroad, and introduce the DiversityAbroad.com community with a firsthand account of what being abroad is all about.
- Represent DiversityAbroad.com for the duration of your program overseas (Fall or Spring semester programs only)
- Document your experience with photos and videos via the DiversityAbroad.com
- Write one article per month on a topic related to education abroad and your identity, location and career/field of study.
- You are currently enrolled full-time at your college or university based in the United States or a recent graduate (1-3 years out)
- You will participate in a semester or year long study, intern, volunteer, or teach abroad program.
- Have a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA at an accredited U.S. university or college
- You are energetic, creative and have a passion for international engagement
- You are a leader on campus and in your community
- You are committed to challenging stereotypes and leading a dialogue that promotes positive social change
- You possess strong writing skills and social media presence
- Economically disadvantaged students, first-generation, students with disabilities, students who identify as LGBTQ+, and ethnic and racially diverse students are strongly encouraged to apply
What You Will Gain
Diversity Abroad will offer a $500 stipend for fall and spring 5 stipends are available for each term.
- Diversity Abroad Swag Bag, including backpack, t-shirt, journal, travel guide and more!
- Opportunity to have your articles, blogs, pictures and video published and promoted on social media and DiversityAbroad.com
- Gain professional career experience in marketing, social media, writing, and international education and travel
- The opportunity to be part of the Diversity Abroad Community as a representative of the Diversity Abroad mission, vision, and values
Application Process & Timeline
Overseas Ambassadors serve during a 4-6 month time frame, depending on the length of their chosen study abroad program.
To apply for the Overseas Ambassador Program, please complete the scholarship application here. Please note we have two cycles of the Overseas Ambassador Program, one for the fall semester and another for the spring semester.
If you are interested in a summer scholarship, check out our Diversity Abroad Consortium Summer Scholarship here!